Friday, January 28, 2011

Dennis the Cadaver

Today's anatomy class was amazing. For the past three weeks we have just been working with bones, but today they brought out the cadavers. As I walked into class, I didn't know what to expect. The smell is what hit me first and made me a little nervous.
As our TA took the cover off the head and torso of the cadaver, I felt pretty overwhelmed with emotion. In a way it was exactly what I was expecting, but at the same time, it was totally different. Our cadaver still had hair on his chin and eyelashes. It hit me at that point that this used to be a real person with thoughts and feelings and this person had donated his body to help me better understand human anatomy.
Even though I felt totally overwhelmed by the 200+ vocab words they threw at us, I was totally amazed at how cool the human body is and how important all these pieces are. I wish I could take pictures but we are instructed not to.
No doubt about it, it is a really really hard class, but I am really enjoying myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment