Sunday, April 3, 2011

What do your possessions says about you?

Today marked the end of the 181st Annual General Conference of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. What a treat it was to be able to sit down and listen to all the messages our church leaders had prepared for us, and what made it even better was the chance to get to listen to it with my family! What a fun week & weekend it has been. (more to blog on that later!)
I've really enjoyed sitting down tonight to read over my notes and decipher my chicken scratch handwriting
One thought I wanted blog about a little bit tonight was the talk given Saturday morning by Elder Quentin L. Cook.
He talked about a girl that had left her purse after a church dance. Of course the youth leaders wanted to return it, they said:
"we didn't want to pry, this was someones personal stuff, so we gingerly opened it and grabbed the first thing on top to identify her. It did, but in a different way."
The first thing they pulled out was a strength of youth pamphlet, followed by a notepad of personal notes and favorite scriptures, mints, soap, a brush, a homemade coin purse, a recipe for cake, then finally her ID. Her church leaders said "oh good things come out of her mouth, she's clean, and tidy, creative and prepared"
She was a quiet example of a young lady living the gospel.
I was reading through my notes on this talk and I had written down, "what do my possessions say about me?". If someone found my purse, looked in my car, glanced in my room, or saw what I was wearing.... would I be giving off a quiet example of a person living the gospel? Elder Uchtodorf said this morning "Preach the gospel at all times and if necessary, use words". My youth leaders back in high school would always tell us that we are always being watched by our peers. And boy wasn't that the truth. I loved the high school I went to because it literally gave me the opportunity to speak with someone about the gospel at least once a week.
Now that I am in college, I do not necessarily have as many verbal opportunities, but I do have the opportunity to be a quiet example to those around me.
Wouldn't it be amazing for someone to find something of ours and be able to say "wow, this person is a quiet example of someone living the gospel"?
Another goal to add to my list! Which just reminded me of another talk given today by Elder Lynn Robbins. He talked about how we make lists of 'to do' to remind us of what we want to accomplish but not very often we make lists of 'to be'. Why??

'to do' can be checked off, 'to be' can never be done, it is not an event, it's something to always be working toward. I am putting 'become a quiet example of someone living the gospel' onto my 'to be' list!

No comments:

Post a Comment