Thursday, March 17, 2011

I Love Tacos...

Okay everyone... I think I've mastered the taco....
For those of you that don't know, my favorite thing to make/eat here at college is the taco. It is so cheap, fast to make, and healthy because you get a little bit from all the major food groups. It's really whatever I have in the fridge thrown onto a corn tortilla.
You can get 100 little corn tortilla's from costco for like $3. Now I know what you are thinking, 100 tortillas?? That's ridiculous, I'll never eat that. And you are right, you probably wont... but for 25 at the grocery store it costs the exact same. So you might as well stock up. I have found that they last a really long time up in the cupboard. For example, over a month ago I bought a package. And two sunday's ago, Anna made these delish chicken enchiladas (and enough to feed an army, except we all must have been really hungry because they all disappeared)....
....And I still had a ton of tortillas left over... So my point, they will last you a long time and they are so cheap.

So anyways, today I was wondering what to make for lunch and of course taco is the first thing that comes to mind. Usually I fry up whatever protein I have in the fridge (if I have hamburger, I'll use that, if not, one froze chicken breast is easy too), i'll throw in a chopped onion, green pepper.... really whatever vegetables need to be eaten. When the chicken/hamburger is pretty cooked, ill add some onion powder, garlic powder, and taco seasoning (it's like $0.50 a packet and will last lots of meals) and if im using hamburger (this might sound gross but it adds a little something something), a quick squeeze of ketchup. Boom! heat up a tortilla, add some cheese, salsa, salad mix, and you've got a taco.

Today's meal though included flavors from all over the world. Last night I made indonesian satay on the BBQ and served it with a salad with balsamic dressing and quinoa (my new favorite cooking obsession... im still learning how to use it).
So today I had leftovers, so I cut up my leftover chicken (Indonesian) and put it in the frying pan on top of a tortilla, sprinkled on some leftover quinoa (South America), feta cheese (Greek), and since I was out of salsa, I added some Zest Lite Italian Dressing (Italian). It was delish. 

The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment