Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Am I Racist?

It is well known that people don't always 'speak their minds', and it is suspected that people don't always 'know their minds'. Understanding such divergences is important to scientific psychology.


Click on the following link and take the test for yourself- https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/Study?tid=-1
click where it says 'click here to begin'
just scroll to the bottom and click, ok, ok, ok till you get to the test, dont bother filling out the questions


After I first took the implicit test, I was disappointed and slightly angry at the results. “Strong automatic preference for EUROPEAN AMERICAN compared to AFRICAN AMERICA”?! What does that even mean? I have never thought of myself as a racist, nor have I ever been prejudice toward the African American race. I was convinced that it was the order of which the questions appeared that cause me to score that way, so I took the test again.


When I took the test a second time, the positive words were with the African American pictures first. And yes, it was easier for me to affiliate the positive words with the European Americans than it was the African Americans. Why was that? Does that make me a bad person? In an article I read describing these implicit tests, it says that we can all be a bit subconsciously racist no matter how colorblind we claim to be.


“There are other things which a man is afraid to tell even to himself, and every decent man has a number of such things stored away in his mind”. 


Something to think about!!

No comments:

Post a Comment